Tuesday, July 21, 2026

A 'Team of the Tournament' - World Cup 2026

 

Everybody has to do one, right? So,... that's mine.


Many selectors in choosing such teams simply go for all their favourite players, and/or concentrate on the ultimately most successful teams. I try to achieve more balance and variety - by avoiding taking too many players from one nation, by trying to give recognition to some of the outstanding teams who were eliminated before the semi-finals or quarter-finals, and by attempting to create a well-structured team that could conceivably function together in reality (players who really can play on that side, in that position; a good mix of profiles; a solid central defensive midfielder to hold everything together). So many of these 'teams of the tournament' just stuff in 6 goalscorers/midfield creatives - who might be terrifying if they ever got the ball, but would in all likelihood be completely steamrollered by any half-decent side.

I suppose the potentially 'contentious' omissions in my line-up are Mbappé (brilliant, sure - but perhaps let France down somewhat when the chips were really down in that lame semi-final exit against Spain; for me, he never quite had that 'aura' of invincibility, of single-minded determination that he was going to turn games on his own - Vini had that: for the first four games, anyway, he looked absolutely unplayable), and Yamal (I really don't buy the common verdict that he had a 'disappointing' tournament: he was unlucky not to pick up more goals/assists [had a lot of near-misses, a couple of very good goals ruled out for narrow offsides; and the rest of the team weren't getting into the box enough for him to be able to create a lot of chances, that wasn't his fault - for such a dominant team, Spain's chance creation and chance conversion numbers were really poor...!], absolutely tore opponents apart down that right flank, and by drawing so many defenders to him, was regularly helping to create space for teammates in the middle; but... he wasn't quite Messi) or Manzambi (pity he got injured, but certainly a contender); and maybe Rodri (I said yesterday, I just don't think he had that great a tournament overall - was slow to grow into it, and actually quite poor in the first couple of games; Koné - and perhaps also our own Elliot Anderson - was, for me, much better) or Kane (as usual, faded after a bright start; and eclipsed in his own team by Bellingham).

Michael Olise might also have got in for many people, but I felt he never looked completely comfortable in that 'No. 10' role Deschamps forced on him; and he was another of the conspicuous misfires for France in those last two games, when it really mattered.

A lot of people like Pedro Porro at right-back too; but I felt he had one outstanding game, and was just OK in the others; and hadn't even started in the first couple of games. I'm not completely sold on my selection of Hakimi, but I wanted to give more recognition to Morocco, who were one of the standout teams of the tournament for me; as a Fantasy selection, he disappointed me rather - he was solid, rather than outstanding. But he was always a commanding figure on the pitch, an excellent captain. I was really tempted to give that slot to Norway's outstanding Julian Ryerson, though; he just missed out in my final cut as a result of his performances being hampered by injury in their last two games.

I also mentioned yesterday that, while I have nothing against Unai Simon in goal, Spain's control of games was usually so overwhelming that he didn't really have that much to do; his most impressive contributions were a few superbly-timed 'sweeper keeper' interventions, charging out of his box to intercept long balls over the top. Saves? Not many. Vozinha clocked nearly twice as many, in half the number of games! There were a number of other keepers who put in a strong claim for consideration too, especially Morocco's Bounou. And I was tempted to give the position to D.R. Congo's Lionel Mpasi, just for his extraordinary defiance of England in the 'Round of 32'; Iran's Alireza Beiranvand was in similar "You shall NOT pass!" mode against Belgium, and Curacao's Eloy Room clocked a remarkable 15 saves in one game against Ecuador. But the great fairytale of this World Cup was Cabo Verde's triumphant emergence from obscurity; they were, I think, only very narrowly behind Morocco as the best African team, and comfortably among the 'Top Ten' in the whole tournament. And their consistently solid veteran goalkeeper, Vozinha, was one of the key foundations of their success (and there's an additional appeal in his being still at the top of his game at 40 years of age!).

I'm disappointed I couldn't find room for any Colombian or Mexican players; they were also among my favourite teams of the tournament. (Julián Quiñones very nearly got in ahead of Haaland for me!)

Finally, Morocco's exciting young attacking midfielder Ismael Saibari was the breakout star of this tournament, for me (I'd never heard of him before, anyway; fans of the Eredivisie will no doubt have been aware - he was the Dutch 'Player of the Season' last year for PSV); Morocco's challenge faded after he got injured, but I think he still did enough to earn inclusion in a final 'Team of the Tournament' (and Bayern Munich seem to agree with me!).


So, that's it - that's my 'Team of the Tournament' for the 2026 World Cup. Feel free to disagree; but please do it politely...


No comments:

Post a Comment

All viewpoints are welcome. But please have something useful and relevant to say, give clear reasons for your opinion, and try to use reasonably full and correct sentence structure. [Anything else will be deleted!]

Good riddance to Cristiano... And WHO is really the greatest of them all??

  We had a record number of players of advanced age at this World Cup; and while a couple of these - Messi (turned 39 during the tournament...