Friday, September 25, 2026

A little bit of Zen (113)

The famous 1903 painting 'A Friend In Need', by Cassius Coolidge, depicting a group of dogs playing a game of poker
 

"If you don't know who the worst player at the table is - it's you."


Ancient poker wisdom


Long before I was an FPL player, I was a poker player. And I only started to get good at it when I started being able to recognise how good - or not - everyone else I was playing against was.

It's much the same with any game; it's much the same with FPL. It's always rather easier to recognise what's wrong with someone else's squad than it is to notice the flaws in your own; but if you can't even do that, then you really have a problem.

Most FPL managers seem to look at other people's teams just to copy some of the more apparently successful selections it contains. They'd do far better to critique what's wrong with it - even if it belongs to the current global leader or the guy who's winning their works league at a canter. Try not just to spot people's weaker picks, but make sure you understand exactly why it's a mistake; and recognise if it's likely to be part of a generic flaw in this manager's thinking - a blindspot, a prejudice that may lead them to make many similar errors.

When you get really good at doing that for others,... you may get better at doing it for yourself too. Study your opponents to better understand yourself.


No comments:

Post a Comment

All viewpoints are welcome. But please have something useful and relevant to say, give clear reasons for your opinion, and try to use reasonably full and correct sentence structure. [Anything else will be deleted!]

A little bit of Zen (113)

  "If you don't know who the worst player at the table is - it's you . " Ancient poker wisdom Long before I was an FPL pla...