Saturday, May 9, 2026

Home, sweet 'home'...

A photograph of a busy street in Siem Reap, Cambodia
 

After a month or so on the road, I have arrived back in Cambodia (Siem Reap, for now).

I have spent most of the last quarter-century in East Asia, and nearly a dozen years now in South-East Asia. For the last six years I have been mainly based in the Lao P.D.R., which has many points of appeal; and I've spent a fair bit of time in Vietnam and Thailand, for which I also have a considerable fondness. But somehow,... Cambodia chimes with me that bit more than any of its neighbours. Arriving back here after a spell away - even stepping off a bus or a plane into the noise and stink and tumult of Phnom Penh - always feels strangely reassuring, comforting to me,... like a big warm hug for the soul.

And so it does again. I've been having a bit of a stressful time over the past year or two; and especially in the last few months. But now, back in Cambodia, everything suddenly feels all right again. (It isn't. But it feels like it, for now - and I'll take that.)

A photograph of two cans of Cambodia beer, the regular lager and the newly-launched 'dark' beer
A beer so good they named the country after it...

The beer's pretty good too.



No comments:

Post a Comment

All viewpoints are welcome. But please have something useful and relevant to say, give clear reasons for your opinion, and try to use reasonably full and correct sentence structure. [Anything else will be deleted!]

A little bit of Zen (106)

"You can count how many seeds are in the apple, but not how many apples are in the seed." Ken Kesey Kesey, one of the key figures ...