Friday, July 4, 2025

Happy 4th July!

A photograph of a big July 4th firework display, with multiple colourful ex;losions happening simultaneously
 

I've always had a bit of a soft spot for America. (The country and its people, that is. Its government has generally tended to be a force-for-ill in the world, even on the rare occasions when they have managed to elect a decent and competent person to the Presidency...)  I've spent quite a bit of time there: probably several months in total, by now. Four of my best friends from college days relocated over there, so I always have excuses to nip over for a visit when I can. And I've experienced four or five July 4ths over there.

And their big annual holiday has always seemed a surprisingly un-jingoistic event to me. I'm not usually a fan of National Days, as they get too bound up in obnoxious nationalism (and often with forced 'celebration' of the government [looking at you, China!]), But even the public parades for the 4th July in America always seem to have a strong community focus, rather than a national or global one. And the majority of the celebration seems to just involve getting together with family or friends for a big barbecue somewhere. And probably those indulgences will be spread across the entire weekend...  Plenty to like about that!

I can't visit my American and America-based friends this weekend, but I shall be thinking of them. And I am hoping I will be able to join in with their festivities in spirit by finding myself a pulled pork sandwich somewhere....


I imagine all the firecrackers and nationwide jollity will add to the atmosphere of the crucial quarter-final games being played in the Club World Cup over there this weekend. Looking foward to it!


Best wishes for the Holiday Weekend to any American readers I may have garnered on here!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment

All viewpoints are welcome. But please have something useful and relevant to say, give clear reasons for your opinion, and try to use reasonably full and correct sentence structure. [Anything else will be deleted!]

A little bit of Zen (106)

"You can count how many seeds are in the apple, but not how many apples are in the seed." Ken Kesey Kesey, one of the key figures ...